Nanny FAQs

What do I need to do to become a Nanny?

There are many ways to become a professional Nanny and make it your career but it is hugely beneficial to study for a specific qualification in childcare. We at Nutkin encourage this so as to be able to to provide children with the best possible care, however we will not turn down Nannies without a qualification as long as you have 5 years experience of working with children.

What are the various job options?

  • Sole Charge, you are left alone in the house to care for the children.
  • Mother’s Help, you work along side the mother as a team to provide shared care.
  • Nanny/Housekeeper, You are responsible for the care of the cihldren and general running of the house including cleaning and cooking.
  • After-school Nanny, you collect the children from school and supervise until the parents return, these positions are often also full time in the school holidays.
  • Term Time Only Nanny, you will not be required to work in the school holidays
  • Maternity Nurse, you work for short intense periods of time with new borns.
  • Night Nanny, you go in to the family’s home for the night period to help settle children into a routine of to just give the parents some often much needed sleep.
  • Temp Nanny, you are covering the role for short contracts.
  • Nanny share, You work for two families, in one or both homes, splittimg the time equally between them and they share the costs – you should expect a sligter higher salary.
  • Maternity cover, as a temp role you are covering for the nanny that is on Maternity leave.
  • Doula, you offer emotional and practical support to a mum to be (or dad) before, during and after childbirth. You build very strong bonds with the family as this type of support also helps the whole family to relax and enjoy the experience.

Should I get experience first?

You should be open to the idea of working for free or for a very low salary if it helps you get your foot through the nannying door. It will pay off in the future. It is a very good idea to get as much experience as possible, volunteering with Kids clubs ot local play groups and with your local Brownies or Cubs or become an apprentice at a local nursery. You can be a babysitter, or offer to help a local family during the day with their children. Always try and get a reference, this goes into your career portfolio.

Do I need to have Ofsted registration?

It is still a voluntary register and so not a legal requirement for nannies to be on the Ofsted Registered…but it will make you more apealing to some families and may find it easier to find a position quickly if parents wish to use childcare vouchers.

You must have Insurance, a valid DBS, First aid and a Childcare Qualification. – Don’t worry, we run courses that can get you set up and also carry out DBS checkes for you., be aware that the whole registration process can take up to 12 weeks to complete. You can apply through the Government Gateway website or contact Ofsted on 0300 123 1231.

The cost of registration is £103, Insurance can be from £50-90, First aid is £80-£160 dependin on the type of course opted for. DBS is £53, Nutkin does NOT charge an admin fee for nannies on our books otherwise there is a £10 admin fee

Is there anything else I need to do?

You need to have a current paediatric First Aid certificate – This should be your top priority followed by a current DBS (Formally CRB) without these two basic requirements Nutkin cannot put you forward for a position.

You will also need a current DBS (formally CRB) certificate, we can do this for you and do not charge an admin fee if you are registered with Nutkin. for non Nutkin nannies it is a £10 admin fee.

How do I renew my DBS?

Once you have your disclosure number you go to this site – DBS annual renewal – and follow the instructions, or you can come back to us in 3 years time.
Find your link to Ofsted DBS registration Here, or see below

Do I need insurance?

YES! Public liability insurance covers you for all eventualities with the children in your care as you can be held legally liable. Even the smallest of accidents such as falling off the chair and sustaining a head injury. If you are considered to be responsible through negligence when the accident happened, you could find yourself having to front substantial damages.

What qualifications are accepted?

There are many childcare qualifications available at different levels, These are NNEB, CACHE, NAMCW, NVQ, BTEC ,Norland, Chiltern and Princess Christian, City & Guilds and Montessori. The most up to date qualification is the Diploma for the Children and Young People’s Workforce, which is offered by companies such as MNT Training and Childcare company.

What do these terms mean?

  • NNEB – Now known as Diploma in Childcare and Education

This is a 2 year coulrse and is the most recognised qualification covers ages 0-7 studying physical, intellectual, social and emotional needs of different ages. It also includes first aid and communication with Peers, Parents and other Childcare Professionals. you are also required to undertake Practical Placements. When the course is completed the students can start work in a nursery and also as a Nanny. We recommend that newly qualifieds should have a period of working alongside the parent before going sole charge.

  • NVQ’s (National Vocational Qualifications)

NVQ stands for National Vocational Qualification this allows people with no formal qualification the opportunity to get a recognised qualification. You’ll learn practical, work-related tasks designed to help you develop the skills and knowledge to do your job effectively. There are several levels you can qualify at.
Level 2: assessed in a range of competencies dealing with children’s physical, emotional and social development. qualified to begin a career in childcare, either in nursery or as a mother’s help.
Level 3: assessed across 15 units including ability to work and care for children without supervision and management and support for parents and family. largely equivalent to an NNEB . Qualified to work as a nanny but some parental involvement and guidance is recommended for newly qualified candidates.
Level 4: assessed for the ability to run and develop a play area and supervise other staff.  qualified for all types of childcare careers.

“Nutkin” Nannies must be qualified at level 2 or above, or ideally a level 3 qualification.

  • CACHE (Certificate in Childcare)

This is a specialist body that developes courses and qualifications in childcare. Their courses range from entry level to advanced qualifications for sector professionals.
14 different modules covering both theory and practical areas of childcare.
Nannies who have a CACHE certificate are qualified to start their career in childcare and begin working with children.

  • BTEC (National Diploma in Nursery Nursing) 

The BTEC is similar to the NNEB, Practical experience within the community is part of the course as well as development courses including human growth and learning activities. The courses tend to work related qualifications that provide a more practical, real-world approach to learning. There is a slightly heavier lean to academic rather than practical learning. Once qualified you can work either in a nursery or to begin their career as a nanny.

  • City & Guilds

These create relevent childcare quaifiocations that help learners gain the experience and skills families are looking for.

  • Montessori

The Montessori Method is an internationally renowned qualification. Giving individual care and attention to a child’s needs therefore allowing the child to develop fully physically and intellectually but also spiritually and emotionally.

  • Norland, Princess Christian and Chiltern

These are private colleges, which in most cases also have their own nurseries for training on site Norland is now based in Bath and send girls out to placements. The courses are two or three years and are generally followed by a probation period before the qualifications is awarded. Wide range of subjects covered and the students receive the college diploma as well as childcare qualifications.  Nannies from the private colleges are generally very good but it is just as important to carry out the background checks and references as a private college training is not a guarantee of success.

  • Maternity Nursing 

There is not a formal certification for maternity nurses in the UK and so as such to become a maternity nurse is relatively as easy (unlike the actual job) However, it would be highly unlikely that a maternity nurse with no training and no relevant experience would be hired by many families. You would definitely need relevant training and experience before deciding to become a professional Maternity Nurse. A previous certification in nursing and/or midwifery would both be useful for maternity nurses, as would certification in child care. Norland College and MNT Training also offers an OCN Maternity Practitioner Award, this is a formally recognised qualification in maternity nursing.

  • NAMCW (National Association for Maternal and Child Welfare)

This is a practical and theory course covering childcare issues and includes investigation into child development. This allows the graduates it work as nannies or in Nurseries.

  • ADCE (Advanced Diploma in Childcare Education)

This is an advanced course only open to experienced child carers. You work dealing with special educational needs and with appraisal and training methods of childcare and education. An ADCE diploma are qualifies you to do almost any job in childcare The likelyhood is that the manager of your local nursery will probably be run by someone with an ADCE diploma.


See more morton-michel for Nanny insurance.